Ben Franklin Academy is a Core Knowledge STEAM school of choice where all students are eligible through our enrollment lottery process. We enroll new K-8 students using a lottery system so that every child has an opportunity to attend BFA. We are governed by a group of seven amazing parents who selflessly volunteer their time and energy to create policies and govern the school to ensure that Ben Franklin Academy provides an outstanding education where all students can demonstrate achievement and growth. Ben Franklin Academy is part of the DCSD School District.
While we are required to give certain standardized tests and choose to give other tests, we do so in order to evaluate the data and make informed educational decisions. We are a studentcentered school, which allows our teachers to teach. They can focus on providing high quality instruction that meets the needs of individual students. Our teachers and staff are professionals who are given high expectations, but are given the resources and support to be successful. Each teacher in our school is licensed and highly qualified. The bottom line is that we are all here for the kids. We are dedicated to providing an outstanding education in a safe and caring environment.
Here’s how our enrollment process works
- In the Fall (one year prior to the enrollment year), new families may begin applying online for the next school year to fill available spaces after current families re-enroll.
- New families will need to submit an online application in order to be included on our wait list.
- A random lottery will be held for available openings in December.
- Families selected via the lottery will be contacted and given 48 hours to accept or decline the offer.
- Enrollment documents will be due 1 week after an offer is accepted.
Student enrollment is prioritized in the following order:
- Currently enrolled students
- Siblings of currently enrolled students. Siblings that share the same birth date (ie. twins or triplets) shall receive automatic enrollment
- Children in the household of Founding Families
- Children of full-time teachers
- Currently enrolled Preschool students
- General wait list
Important Admission Dates for 2017-2018 School Year
- November 30, 2016 Deadline for all enrollment applications to be submitted
- December 1, 2016 Lottery will be held, enrollment offers will go out
- December 2, 2016 Deadline to accept or decline enrollment offers
- December 9, 2016 Enrollment documents due
- January 9, 2017 Preschool enrollment opens
- April 12, 2017 – New Family Orientation
- August 1, 2017 Teacher assignments for new students & Kindergartners will be available
All DCSD registration forms are due at the time of enrollment
- Registration form (4 pages)
- Health form (3 pages)
- Student Residency Questionnaire
- Migrant Form
- Proof of Residency Form – we will need a copy of your Deed of Trust, Warranty Deed, Tax Notification, or Rental/Lease Agreement
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate
- A copy of your child’s most recent immunization record
Kindergarten applicants must be five (5) years old on or before October 1, 2017, to enter as kindergarten students for the 2017-2018 school year.
Please contact our Registrar if you have enrollment questions at 720.383.4519 x3104 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).