We hope you’ll actively engage in the Board Election Process!
2021 Elections for the BFA Board of Directors
The Succession Committee of the BFA Board of Directors is pleased to announce the Call for Nominations for the BFA Board of Directors (“Board”) is open and will remain so until 11:59 p.m. MST on Friday, Feb. 19.
The BFA Board consists of seven (7) members: four (4) are regularly elected by the Parent Voting Group, and three (3) are appointed by the Board. Service on the BFA Board is an opportunity to grow personally and professionally while helping guide the direction of our school and our students’ development. We are seeking leaders who are passionate and committed to the mission, vision, and long-term strategic plan of BFA to serve on the Board.
This year, there are two (2) open director seats on the BFA Board, which will be filled according to the Board of Directors Election Policy. Each seat is for a three-year term. One (1) director will be elected by the Parent Voting Group, and one (1) director will be appointed by the BFA Board. For additional information, read the Board of Directors Succession Plan.
2021 Call for Nominations
The current call for nominations is for the following BFA Board seats:
- Seat 1, Class A, is currently occupied by Bill Castor. Bill has served on the Board for six (6) years and is term limited. This seat serves a three-year term, ending in May 2024, and is elected by the BFA Parent Voting Group.
- Seat 2, Class A, is currently occupied by Courtney Jurbala. Courtney has served on the Board for three (3) years and will not be seeking re-election. This seat serves a three-year term, ending in May 2024, and is appointed by the BFA Board.
2021 BFA Board Election/Appointment Process
To nominate someone (including yourself) for the BFA Board, click here to complete the nomination form. Nominations from the BFA Parent Voting Group must be submitted via this form before 11:59 p.m. (MST) on Friday, February 19, 2021.
For the Board-appointed seat, nominees may be selected by the Board from the Parent Voting Group’s nominations or nominated by a Board director at any time. The Board reserves all rights to fill Seat 7, Class C.
There will be a Board forum at 5 p.m. MST on Tuesday, March 23, before the regularly scheduled Board meeting. All Board nominees are required to attend and participate in a Question and Answer session.
Voting for the Seat 1, Class A director will take place electronically April 10 – April 18. Members of the BFA Parent Voting Group will receive access to an electronic ballot on Saturday, April 10, and will have until midnight (MST) on Sunday, April 18, to cast their vote. Results of the election will be announced and the appointment will be made on Tuesday, April 20, at the regularly scheduled Board meeting. All Board nominees are encouraged to be in attendance for the results of both (1) the election and (1) the appointment.
To review the entire Board of Directors Election Policy, click here.
Qualifications to Serve on the BFA Board
The Succession Committee is seeking candidates who are committed and passionate individuals with a broad range of skills and knowledge in topics including but not limited to: organizational and financial management; strategic or long-range planning; banking and trusts; business/corporate; academic/education; and technology. We also encourage people with other competencies to seek nomination.
General expectations as well as Board activities, duties, and time commitments are highlighted below:
- Only one (1) person per family may serve on the Board at any one time.
- The Board shall not contract with directors or family members of directors.
- Neither directors nor family members of directors may be employees or independent contractors of BFA or serve as officers or voting members of the BFA Parent Teacher Organization.
- The average director logs 20+ volunteer hours for BFA a month.
- Directors are required to attend all Board meetings, strategy sessions and conferences as determined by the Board.
- Directors new to the Board are required to complete the online charter school governance modules created by the Colorado Department of Education or Colorado League of Charter Schools.
- Directors new to the Board are expected to review the following required materials within 30 days of being elected or appointed: “Cultural Literacy” by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.; “Boards That Make A Difference” by John Carver; and, “The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.”
For more detailed information, please read the Board Election/Appointment FAQ.
Timeline for Nomination/Election Process
- The Call for Nominations is open Monday, Feb. 1, through 11:59 p.m. MST on Friday, Feb. 19.
- The Board forum is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 23; all candidates should attend and plan to participate in Q&A session.
- Parent Voting for the Seat 1, Class A director will take place electronically April 10 – April 18.
- Results of the election will be announced, and and the appointment will be made on Tuesday, April 20, at the regularly scheduled Board meeting. All Board nominees are encouraged to be in attendance for the results of both (1) the election and (1) the appointment.
If you are interested in learning more, please email Adam Lucero (email@example.com), Board Director or any of our board members (emails listed below for your quick reference).
Bill Castor, President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Matt Keillor, Vice President (email@example.com)
Sarah Nisbet, Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Coutney Jurbala, Treasurer (email@example.com)
Karen Ramon, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jason Page, Director (email@example.com)
Adam Lucero, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)