We hope you’ll actively engage in the Board Election Process!
The ability of BFA to carry out its mission and vision depends upon the strength of our organizational foundation, beginning with the Board of Directors. Members serving on the Board of Directors advocate for BFA’s educational philosophy, successfully fulfill legal requirements and carry out its mission and vision. Serving on the BFA Board is an opportunity to ensure that BFA is and remains “The Core Knowledge STEAM School of Choice.” Board directors use their backgrounds, experience and skills to focus on oversight and matters of strategic importance which can help improve BFA’s educational programs. In addition to helping teachers, staff and administrators lay a solid foundation in education for future generations and instill a love of learning in BFA students, the Board provides individuals a chance to grow personally and professionally, further develop skills, gain unique experience and make lasting connections with a team of other passionate and motivated individuals.
2022 Elections for the BFA Board of Directors
The BFA Board consists of seven (7) members: four (4) are regularly elected by the BFA School Voting Group, and three (3) are appointed by the Board. This spring, the BFA community elected Keri Street to serve on the seven-director Board, for a term of three years. The current Board of Directors appointed Sarah Nisbet to serve another term in accordance with the Board of Directors Election Policy. For additional information, read the Board of Directors Succession Plan.
2022 Call for Nominations
2022 BFA Board Election/Appointment Process
Voting for the Seat 3, Class B director – Members of the BFA School Voting Group received access to an electronic ballot on Monday, April 11, and had until 11:59 p.m. (MST) on Sunday, April 17, 2022, to cast their vote. For the Board-appointed seat, nominees may be selected by the Board from the School Voting Group’s nominations or nominated by a Board director at any time. The Board reserves all rights to fill Seat 4, Class B.
Qualifications to Serve on the BFA Board
- Only one (1) person per family may serve on the Board at any one time.
- The Board shall not contract with directors or family members of directors.
- Neither directors nor family members of directors may be employees or independent contractors of BFA or serve as officers or voting members of the BFA Parent Teacher Organization.
- The average director logs 20+ volunteer hours for BFA a month.
- Directors are required to attend all Board meetings, strategy sessions and conferences as determined by the Board.
- Directors new to the Board are required to complete the online charter school governance modules created by the Colorado Department of Education or Colorado League of Charter Schools.
- Directors new to the Board are expected to review the following required materials within 30 days of being elected or appointed: “Cultural Literacy” by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.; “Boards That Make A Difference” by John Carver; and, “The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.”
Timeline for 2022 Election/Nomination Process
Nomination Deadline: Nominations were due by 11:59 p.m. (MST) on February 18, 2022
Town Hall: The Board hosted a BFA Town Hall prior to the February Board Meeting on Feb. 22 to talk about the current state of BFA and continued ways to become involved.
Q&A Session: Candidates for all open Board seats attended a question and answer session with the current Board on Tuesday, March 22; the Q&A session was also open to the BFA community. The session can be viewed here. Please note: Mr. Elmer has withdrawn his name from consideration.
Election: In Spring 2022, the BFA community will elect one (1) director. Specifically, Board elections will take place electronically from Monday, April 11 through 11:59 p.m. (MST) on Sunday, April 17.
Appointment: In Spring 2022, the Board will appoint one (1) director. Any candidate not elected by the BFA community or any other qualified individual is eligible to be appointed by the Board. The Board may nominate candidates for the Board appointed seat up until the Board vote held on Tuesday, April 19, during the regularly scheduled Board meeting.
Results: Election results will be announced and the appointment by the Board will made on Tuesday, April 19, at the regularly scheduled Board meeting.