We were very proud to have three BFA Destination Imagination (DI) teams compete in the State DI competition! Each team spent hundreds of hours creating solutions to their challenges, and their Team Managers volunteered the same amount (or more!) hours facilitating and coaching their teams.
And, we’re very happy to announce that for the FOURTH year in a row, BFA will be represented at the DI Global Finals, and for the second year in a row, with a record three teams representing our school (all in the Engineering challenge). More than 8,000 participants (approximately 1,400 teams) from more than 15 different countries will compete at DI Global Finals, which will be held in Kansas City, Mo.
The THREE DI teams headed to Global Finals have started their fun Ben Franklin Bolting Fundraiser to help cover the costs of Globals! For a suggested minimum tax-deductible donation of $25 to the BFA PTO, you can cover the lawn of your fellow BFA families with a dozen (12) Ben Franklin Lightning Bolts!
The family “bolted” can choose to have the Bolts moved to another lawn for a suggested minimum tax-deductible donation of $25. You can do this by placing an order on the BFA Store. The Bolts will be removed the following day regardless of giving a donation.
The “bolting” ends on Saturday, May 11 – so don’t delay! If you are ready to get involved, head to the BFA Store today and “bolt” another family. You will need the address of the family you’d like to “bolt.” Helpful hint: Use the Directory On Tap app to look up an address to “bolt.” In addition, you can remain anonymous or let the family know you “bolted” them!
Note: DI teams can only deliver to families currently attending BFA. They cannot deliver to a public space or a townhouse, condo, apartment complex or gated community. Please email Missy Washeck with any questions. You can access the Ben Franklin Bolting flyer here.
Congratulations again to the three teams that qualified for DI Global Finals 2019:
- First Place, Kolorful Koalas (fifth graders), Monster Effects (challenge), Elementary Level
- Team Members: Sam Egolf, Caleb Olson, Téa Sunahara and Makenna Washeck; Team Managers: Amy and Jason Sunahara
- First Place, Served with a Side of Fries (third and fifth graders), Monster Effects (challenge), Elementary Level
- Team Members: Cooper Akin, Madeline Blum, Deagan Clendening, Megan Heckwolf, Benjamin LaSelle, Matthew LaSelle and Caleb Wilcox; Team Managers: Darick and Lynda LaSelle
- Served with a Side of Fries also received a Renaissance team award for their special effect. They were honored because they “not only showed resilience when faced with complications, but they turned the side effects into their team solution. When things got shaken, they hit the books and all the math added up!” DI Renaissance awards are given for outstanding design, engineering, execution and/or performance.
- Third Place, BFA STARs (sixth, seventh and eighth graders), Monster Effects (challenge), Elementary Level
- Team Members: Aidan Murphy, Reed Richardson, Sreehitha Sajja and Tyler Sunahara Team Managers: Amy and Jason Sunahara