Ben Franklin Academy requires all families to perform 30 approved hours (15 hours for single parents) of volunteer service for the Academy. More information can be found in the Volunteer & Visitor Policy. Volunteer hours are approved by the principal and tracked by the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) using Help Counter, where you can register for volunteer opportunities and track your volunteer service.
All volunteer service must be logged into Help Counter within 48 hours of performing the service or such hours will be deemed unearned. It is recommended that each parent/guardian make a separate account. Your hours will be joined by your Family Number. For questions, please inquiry via email.
This year’s directory will be coming from the info gathered in helpcounter-please be sure to update your info!
- Once you have updated your personal information, go to http://volunteeratschool.com – bookmark it!(if you use this one- you can avoid using those security symbols that can be hard to read).
- Enter your email address, and request a new password- this is how you will enter hours from home. The system should recognize your email address and send you a email with your password.
- If you are new to BFA, you can go to http://Helpcounter.net/volunteer to request access to the system. The system will help you find the school and ask you for your email address. You will then add your personal information and submit. Once you are an approved volunteer, you can start adding hours.
- If you are a single parent family, please email Michelle Bynum at email@example.com so she can update your volunteer quota.
- Once you are in the system, please check the areas you are interested in volunteering for- this does not commit you but allows the coordinator see who is interested.
- The system has a great Facebook application that will allow you to track your hours.
Any questions? Please email us.
Thanks for all you do for BFA!
Volunteering Ideas at BFA This Week/Year
- The BENefit Bash is the PTO’s major fundraiser next school year. The last BENefit Bash was an overwhelming success with more than $86,000 (gross) raised for our school! We are starting to plan for the 2017 Bash and need your help to ensure the continued success of this important event. There are many volunteer opportunities available with a range of responsibilities—both for the night of the event and during the planning phases. Please take a few moments to review this flier and email the PTO to let them know how you can help make this year’s event a huge success.
Celebrating Veterans Day is a tradition at BFA. Help make this event meaningful for all our veterans and students by volunteering for the event. Click here to help decorate and look for additional volunteer opportunities in the near future.
- Committees – BFA has many committees that work to support the mission and vision of the school. Many of these committees have opportunities to volunteer that fall outside of traditional school hours. To learn more about the committees and how to contact them, check out each committee’s web page.
- Sign Up to help with Lunch – Ben Franklin’s lunchroom couldn’t run efficiently without our wonderful parent volunteers. Our volunteers assist our lunch aides with setting up the lunchroom tables, helping students open food and drink containers, monitoring student safety and activity, cleaning tabletops between lunch sessions, and assisting with final cleanup after all students have eaten. Our volunteer sessions last from 10:50 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., and our signups are via Helpcounter. You are welcome to sign up in advance or walk-in. Please note, younger siblings are not allowed in the lunch room during volunteer shifts. We love our lunch volunteers!
- Sign Up to Volunteer for Carpool – Parent participation in carpool helps ensure the safety of our kids, other volunteers and BFA staff. This year, we are asking parents to sign up for one carpool shift per month, on a repeating schedule. For example, you could sign up to staff a shift on the first Monday morning of each month or the fourth Thursday afternoon of each month. If you aren’t able to commit to a repeating shift, simply review the online signups below to determine which shifts have fewer volunteers scheduled. Then you may just drop in, unscheduled, at the school office and offer to help. Please arrive by 7:30 a.m. or 2:55 p.m. The online sign ups below won’t show the specific date (Sept. 13), but it will show the 2nd Wed. AM. You can determine yourself which shift matches the date of which you’d like to volunteer. Some shifts are completely full, and some have multiple openings.
While we are managing all volunteer carpool sign ups and cancellations through Sign Up Genius, you still need to log your hours via HelpCounter.
Repeating Morning Shift Sign Up:
Repeating Afternoon Shift Sign Up:
Regarding repeating shifts, we are managing the scheduling and reminders through Google Calendar for simpler administration. Anyone who signs up for a repeating shift via SignUp Genius will receive an invitation this year from “bfacarpoolvolunteers@gmail.
- Sign Up to Volunteer in the Library – The Library needs volunteers! Please sign up for shifts at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C084BAEAC22A75-library3 If you sign up, but are unable to show up, please delete the shift in time for someone else fill it. If you would like to volunteer during your child’s classroom time, please check with their teacher for their library schedule. Thanks–we can’t do this without you!