BFA is concerned with the health and safety of every student. We have a large Health Room for students who feel ill throughout the day, need a wound cared for, or need to take medicine during the school day. There is a dedicated Health Room staff member, and we also have a nurse consultant on site about one day a week. If you have concerns about your student’s health or if there is a change we need to be made aware of (concussion, broken bone, etc.), please contact the health room. 

Students Who Plan to Take Medicine at School 

For those students who take medicine at school, per Douglas County School District (DCSD), new medication forms are required at the beginning of each school year. Prescription and over-the-counter medications will be administered to students at school only on the specific written request of the student’s parent/guardian and with the written authorization of the student’s physician.
Forms are available in the school office, on the school website (click on ‘forms’) and are linked below. If your student has an appointment with his/her physician during the summer, that’s a good time to get the paperwork completed. Records can be emailed to the health office, faxed to 303-974-1738 or dropped off during BFA Annual Family Check-In.   
All prescription medications must be provided in the original pharmacy labeled container. The pharmacy label must match the accompanying Provider Medication Authorization. All over-the-counter medications must be provided in the original packaging, which includes dose and frequency information, the dose must match the Provider Medication Authorization.

Reminder about Over-the-Counter Medicine

Acetaminophen or any other over-the-counter medication cannot be administered at school without an order from the health care provider (Provider Medication Authorization Form). Ben Franklin Academy provides Acetaminophen in 80 mg chewable tablets and 325 mg pills. If your student needs a different dose or form, you will need to provide the medication.
Herbal and homeopathic remedies may not be administered at school.

Medical Forms Explained

Not sure which form you need to have completed? See the descriptions below. All current versions of the health forms are located on the Policies, Uniforms, Forms webpage (click ‘forms’ on the top). 
Provider Medication Authorization Form: If your student will need a medication administered at school, either daily or as needed, please complete the top portion of this form and have the student’s health care provider complete the lower portion of the form.
Asthma Care Plan: If your student has asthma and will have an inhaler or other treatment at school, have your student’s health care provider complete this form. Also complete the Medication Request and Release Agreement (below).
Allergy Care Plan: If your student has a severe allergy and will have an epinephrine auto-injector or other medication at school, have your student’s health care provider complete this form. Also complete the Medication Request and Release Agreement (below).
Medication Request and Release Agreement: If your student’s health care provider has used their own form or if your student has an Asthma Care Plan or Allergy Care Plan, please complete this form.


Getting vaccinated is an important part of your student’s school readiness and keeps children from catching and spreading diseases that can make them sick. Click here to read about the required and recommended K-8 vaccines. And, for information regarding the Tdap vaccine required before entering sixth grade, click here.

Information about the Nonmedical Exemption Process

Per the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, the process for claiming a nonmedical exemption has changed for the 2021-22 school year. We wanted to alert families about this early, so they have plenty of preparation time to adhere to the new guidelines, if applicable.
If you choose not to have your child(ren) vaccinated according to the current recommended schedule because of personal belief or religious reasons, you must submit a Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption to the school.
Nonmedical exemptions must be submitted annually, which means parents have to submit the certificate every new school year. (The school year begins on July 1, and runs through June 30 of the following year.) There are two ways to file a nonmedical exemption:
  • File the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider, OR
  • File the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption received upon the completion of the online education module.
Downloadable certificates and the online education module are available at
Thank you for adhering to these processes. As always, our highest priority is to keep all students safe at school.

Hearing and Vision Screenings

Each year, BFA conducts hearing and vision screenings for grades K,1,2,3,5 and 7, as well as for new BFA students. It is important to note that this is a screening, not a complete exam. If your student wears prescription glasses or contacts, it is necessary that he/she wear them during the screening.
Parents receive a letter if their student does not pass the screening. Students with concerns should be evaluated by a health care professional. 
Colorado Department of Education Standards for hearing and vision are available online.