School is in session from 8:15 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
- Full time: 8:15 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
- Morning: 8:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- Afternoon: 12:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- Morning drop-off: 8:15 a.m. Morning pickup (3s): 12:20 p.m.
- Afternoon drop-off: 12:15 p.m. Afternoon pickup: 3:20 p.m.
Main Office Hours
- Morning drop-off (K-8th grades): 7:45 a.m. – 8:10 a.m.* (Students should be in their seats by 8:15 a.m.)
- Afternoon pickup (K-8th grades): 3:30 p.m. – 3:55 p.m. (Parents should have their carpool tag and be on campus for pick-up by 3:45 p.m.)
- Morning kindergarten pickup: 11:15 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.
- Afternoon kindergarten drop-off: 12:20 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- *Students not in their seats by 8:15 a.m. will receive tardy slips.
BFA Schedule on 90-Minute Delayed Start
BASE: Before school care opens at 8:15 a.m. Please do not drop off your child earlier than 8:15 a.m. for before care, as no one will be at BFA to supervise your child
Carpool: Carpool on a delayed start day begins at 9:15 a.m.
School: School starts at 9:45 a.m.
Half-Day Kindergarten: Morning kindergarten starts at 9:45 a.m. and ends at the normal time. Afternoon kindergarten times do not change - normal start/end times apply.
Preschool: BFA preschool will open at 9:40 a.m. and dismiss at the normal time. Afternoon times do not change - normal start/end times apply.
***You always have the option of keeping your child home if you feel that the roads are unsafe - even if BFA is open. This will be listed as an excused absence.
School Closure/Delayed Start Due to Weather
Severe Weather Carpool Delay
When the weather conditions prohibit a normal release of students during carpool, we will initiate a severe weather dismissal for carpool and will not allow students outside until the weather conditions are safe. During severe weather dismissal, your options are:
- Park your car in the parking lot and physically come into the school with your carpool tag to sign your child(ren) out. Please do not leave your car while in the carpool line.
- Enter, stay, and move with the carpool line until your child(ren) are released directly to you at the front of the school.
- Wait it out wherever you are until the weather passes and walkers are released.
Please understand that while this procedure will take longer than a regular dismissal, it will ensure the overall safety of our students. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding in the event of a severe weather dismissal.
- A decision to do a “Severe Weather Dismissal” won’t be made until 3:25 p.m. This gives us as much time as possible to see if the severe weather passes.
- Severe weather includes: lightning in the area; heavy rain, hail or snow; or tornado-like conditions.
- We will halt all carpool operations when lightning is within 6 miles of the school, in accordance with DCSD procedures.
- Please do not make a call to your child’s cell phone asking him/her to exit the building. Your physical presence or that of another approved adult friend/family member, in the building or in carpool is required to release your child.
We will communicate to parents that a severe weather dismissal is in effect. We will try to do this between 3:25 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please make sure that the school, as well as your student's homeroom teacher, has your current contact information.
- Please talk to your child about a contingency plan that will come into play if and when a severe weather dismissal occurs.
- Please know that your child will always be safe by waiting at school until you arrive.
Please be patient during weather delays. We know that they are inconvenient and that many families have other places to be after school. Your child’s safety is important to us and we will always err on the safe side.
Student Drop-Off and Pickup
BFA is committed to managing traffic and parking in a safe and effective manner for the benefit of its students and the community. Thus, BFA has prepared a Traffic and Parking Management Plan and Procedures. Click here to view these procedures; click here to view the parking map. If you would like to allow someone else to pick up your student, you can email email@example.com to let the office know, or give the other designated adult your carpool tag. Please note, if your tag is scanned, all your students will go to the same pick-up area.
As a matter of school policy, no electronic devices of any kind, including Bluetooth or other hands-free devices, may be used by drivers in the areas designated in BFA’s Traffic and Parking Management Plan and Procedures. Further, to ensure the safety of all, a vehicle may not exceed 10 mph on school property at any time for any reason. Parents should not get out of their cars during carpool; if there is an issue, please let a staff member or volunteer know.
BFA will have two designated loading zones (A and B) for kindergarten through eighth grade student use during pickup at the dismissal of school. BFA also will maintain a separate area designated for pre-kindergarten loading and unloading. Traffic Carpool Map.
Please ONLY Park in Designated Spots
Please do not park along the curb in the parking lot or in the fire lane. Parking along the curb in the lot prevents others from backing up safely. In addition, we kindly ask that you refrain from parking in reserved spots AT ALL TIMES. Please be respectful of the parents, teachers and administration that paid for or earned those spots with their hard work and refrain from parking in any of the reserved slots.
If parents complete a Designated Walker Request (see the forms webpage) and submit it to the office with the required signature, then their student(s) can be released with the walkers at 3:45 p.m. either full-time or intermittently (depending on the parent's selection). Full-time means that your child(ren) will walk every day. Intermittent means that your child(ren) will walk if you have notified BFA by 1:30 p.m. the day your student plans to walk. The parent/guardian must email firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER THAN 1:30 p.m. for additions/deletions from the walker list.
Volunteer for Carpool
To ensure the safety of its students, BFA will have an adequate number of carpool attendants onsite. BFA requests that families volunteer to assist with drop-off and pickup.
Please consider helping in carpool; feel free to show up in the morning or afternoon to volunteer.