School HoursSchool is in session from 8:15 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
- Full time: 8:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Morning: 8:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- Afternoon: 12:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- 3-year-olds morning drop-off: 8:15 a.m. Morning pickup: 12:15 p.m.
- 4-year-olds afternoon drop-off: 12:15 p.m. Afternoon pickup: 3:15 p.m.
- 4-year-olds full day: 8:15 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Main Office Hours
7:45 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. The office is closed daily from 3-4 p.m. for carpool. If you need to pick up your student early, please do so before 3 p.m.
- Morning drop-off (K-8th grades): 7:45 a.m. – 8:10 a.m.* (Students should be in their seats by 8:15 a.m.)
- Afternoon pickup (K-8th grades): 3:30 p.m. – 3:55 p.m. (Parents should have the app, car tag, and be on campus for pick-up by 3:45 p.m.) Parents who are late for pick-up will be charged.*
- Morning kindergarten pickup: 11:15 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.
- Afternoon kindergarten drop-off: 12:20 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- *Students not in their seats by 8:15 a.m. will receive tardy slips.
Delayed StartIf it's been announced that BFA is on a 90-Minute Delayed Start, following is the schedule:
- BASE: Before school care opens at 8:15 a.m. Please do not drop off your child earlier than 8:15 a.m. for before care, as no one will be at BFA to supervise your child.
- Carpool: Carpool on a delayed start day begins at 9:15 a.m.
- School: School starts at 9:45 a.m.
- Half-Day Kindergarten: Morning kindergarten starts at 9:45 a.m. and ends at the normal time. Afternoon kindergarten times do not change - normal start/end times apply.
- Preschool: BFA preschool will open at 9:40 a.m. and dismiss at the normal time. Afternoon times do not change - normal start/end times apply.
School Closure Due to Weather
BFA follows the direction of the Douglas County School District (DCSD) regarding school closures/delays due to weather. If the DCSD decides to close school for the day, then BFA will be closed as well. Sometimes, the weather is not severe enough for a closure, but may be significant enough to have a delayed school start. If the district calls for a delayed start, school at BFA will start 90 minutes later than normal. (See 'Delayed Start' for details.)
All school closures can be seen on most of the local TV channels in the morning. You also may call the DCSD weather line at 303-387-SNOW (7669) to hear the latest updates on school closures or delayed starts. We also will send out an announcement regarding closures or delays.
The Douglas County School District has been divided into three areas: Highlands Ranch, Parker and Castle Rock. It is possible for the district to close or delay school in only one of the areas. This is rare, but it is possible. If you see on the TV or hear on the weather line that Douglas County is listed as closed or delayed start that means all of the schools are closed or delayed. If you see or hear that the Parker area is closed or delayed that means that Highlands Ranch and Castle Rock are open.
You always have the option of keeping your child home if you feel that the roads are unsafe even if the school is open. This will be listed as an excused absence.
Severe Weather - Afternoon Pick-up DelayWhen the weather conditions prohibit a normal release of students during carpool, we will initiate a severe weather dismissal for carpool and will not allow students outside until the weather conditions are safe. During severe weather dismissal, your options are:
- Park your car in the parking lot and physically come into the school with your dismissal app to sign your child(ren) out. Please do not leave your car while in the carpool line.
- Enter, stay, and move with the carpool line until your child(ren) are released directly to you at the front of the school.
- Wait it out wherever you are until the weather passes and students are released.
- A decision to do a “Severe Weather Dismissal” won’t be made until 3:25 p.m. This gives us as much time as possible to see if the severe weather passes.
- Severe weather includes: lightning in the area; heavy rain, hail or snow; or tornado-like conditions.
- We will halt all carpool operations when lightning is within 6 miles of the school, in accordance with DCSD procedures.
- Please do not make a call to your child’s cell phone asking him/her to exit the building. Your physical presence or that of another approved adult friend/family member, in the building or in carpool is required to release your child.
- Please talk to your child about a contingency plan that will come into play if and when a severe weather dismissal occurs.
- Please know that your child will always be safe by waiting at school until you arrive.
Please be patient during weather delays. We know that they are inconvenient and that many families have other places to be after school. Your child’s safety is our priority and we will always exercise caution.
Student Drop-Off and PickupBFA is committed to managing traffic and parking in a safe and effective manner for the benefit of its students and the community. Thus, BFA has prepared a Traffic and Parking Management Plan and Procedures. Click here to view these procedures; click here to view the parking map. If you would like to allow someone else to pick up your student, you can designate that person in the app or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let the office know. Please note, you can designate how individual students are picked up using the dismissal app. As a matter of school policy, please limit the use of electronic devices of any kind, including Bluetooth or other hands-free devices in the areas designated in BFA’s Traffic and Parking Management Plan and Procedures. Further, to ensure the safety of all, a vehicle may not exceed 10 mph on school property at any time for any reason. Parents should not get out of their cars during carpool; if there is an issue, please let a staff member or volunteer know. BFA will have two designated loading zones (A and B) for kindergarten through eighth grade student use during pickup at the dismissal of school. BFA also will maintain a separate area designated for pre-kindergarten loading and unloading. Traffic Carpool Map.
ParkingPlease ONLY Park in Designated Spots Please do not park along the curb in the parking lot or in the fire lane. Parking along the curb in the lot prevents others from backing up safely. In addition, we kindly ask that you refrain from parking in reserved spots AT ALL TIMES. Please be respectful of the parents, teachers and administration that paid for or earned those spots with their hard work and refrain from parking in any of the reserved slots.
WalkersParents should let the office know they would like to be a walker so they can complete a Designated Walker Request form and submit it to the office. (Email: email@example.com) Walkers will be released at 3:35 p.m. Parents can designate their student as a Walker in the dismissal app. Ideally, a student should be assigned as a Walker by 1:30 p.m. each day.
Volunteer for CarpoolTo ensure the safety of its students, BFA will have an adequate number of carpool attendants onsite. BFA requests that families volunteer to assist with drop-off and pickup.
Please consider helping in carpool; feel free to show up in the morning or afternoon to volunteer.
Thank you for supporting a safe and efficient student carpool process!