Ben Franklin Academy property is to be used for all drop-off and pickup of students and for parking for school events.
Morning drop-off (K-8th grades): 7:45 a.m. – 8:10 a.m. *
Afternoon pickup (K-8th grades): 3:30 p.m. – 3:55 p.m.
Morning kindergarten pickup: 11:15 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.
Afternoon kindergarten drop-off: 12:20 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
*Students not in their seats by 8:15 a.m. will receive tardy slips.
Morning drop-off: 8:10 a.m. – 8:20 a.m.
Morning pickup ( 3s ): 11:20a.m. – 11:30a.m.
Morning pickup ( 4s ): 12:20p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Afternoon drop-off: 12:10 p.m. – 12:20 p.m.
Afternoon pickup: 3:20 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Student Drop-Off and Pickup
BFA is committed to managing traffic and parking in a safe and effective manner for the benefit of its students and the community. Thus, BFA has prepared a Traffic and Parking Management Plan and Procedures. Click here to view these procedures.
As a matter of school policy, no electronic devices of any kind, including Bluetooth or other hands-free devices, may be used by drivers in the areas designated in BFA’s Traffic and Parking Management Plan and Procedures. Further, to ensure the safety of all, a vehicle may not exceed 10 mph on school property at any time for any reason.
BFA will have two designated loading zones for kindergarten through eighth grade student use during pickup at the dismissal of school. BFA also will maintain a separate area designated for pre-kindergarten loading and unloading. Traffic Carpool Map.
Sign Up to Volunteer for Carpool
To ensure the safety of its students, BFA will have an adequate number of carpool attendants onsite. BFA requests that families volunteer to assist with drop-off and pickup.
Parent participation in carpool helps ensure the safety of our kids, other volunteers and BFA staff. This year, we are asking parents to sign up for one carpool shift per month, on a repeating schedule. For example, you could sign up to staff a shift on the first Monday morning of each month or the fourth Thursday afternoon of each month. You will get a reminder of your upcoming commitment via SignUpGenius.
Monday Carpool Volunteer Sign Up
Tuesday Carpool Volunteer Sign Up
Wednesday Carpool Volunteer Sign Up
Thursday Carpool Volunteer Sign Up
Friday Carpool Volunteer Sign Up
Sub Sign Up List
While we are managing all volunteer carpool sign ups and cancellations through Sign Up Genius, you still need to log your hours via HelpCounter.
Click here to watch the carpool volunteer video.
Way to Go/Carpool
BFA is partnering with Way to Go to assist families that are interested in carpooling, walking and biking to and from school with other families. Way to Go is a program of the Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) that has been helping families in the region for over 15 years. Last year, Way to Go assisted nearly 70 schools and helped form more than 3,500 school-related carpools.
More specific details will be distributed in May. You are NOT required to participate and directions for opting out also will be distributed in May. The program generally works as follows:
- BFA will send its roster, which will include parent and student names, grades, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses, to Way to Go. This is the same information provided in the student directory.
- During the summer, Way to Go will email BFA families their personalized list and map identifying the BFA families living closest to them. Parent names, student names, grades, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses will be shared.
- Families receiving a list are not obligated to participate and may keep the list as a reference.
- If you are interested in participating, you will need to take the initiative to contact the families on your list to make your arrangements.
- Way to Go will share your information only with other BFA families. It will NOT sell your information to third parties. BFA families are similarly asked to respect the privacy of other BFA families.
- BFA and Way to Go assume no responsibility but provide information for your use. Neither BFA nor Way to Go runs background checks, confirms valid drivers’ licenses or assesses insurance coverage on participants. Potential users are advised to screen participants to their personal satisfaction and check their own insurance coverage for carpooling to assure they are covered under these voluntary arrangements. No drivers, vehicles or insurance are provided by either BFA or Way to Go.
Please do not park in BFA’s Reserved Spots
We’ve noticed that some parents have been parking in reserved spots. Please be respectful of the parents, teachers and administration that paid for or earned those spots with their hard work and refrain from parking in any of the reserved slots.
Special Event Parking
BFA’s Traffic and Parking Management Plan and procedures includes parking for special events at the school. BFA will make reasonable efforts to provide for adequate back-up parking in the event the special event parking is unavailable and communicate any such plans in advance of a special event. To view the Special Event Parking Map, click here.
BFA Schedule on 90-Minute Delayed Start
BASE: Before school care opens at 8:15 a.m. Please do not drop off your child earlier than 8:15 a.m. for before care, as no one will be at BFA to supervise your child
Carpool: Carpool on a delayed start day begins at 9:15 a.m.
School: School starts at 9:45 a.m.
Half-Day Kindergarten: Morning kindergarten starts at 9:45 a.m. and ends at the normal time. Afternoon kindergarten times do not change – normal start/end times apply.
Preschool: BFA preschool will open at 9:40 a.m. and dismiss at the normal time. Afternoon times do not change – normal start/end times apply.
Buses: The buses will be at the bus stops 90 minutes later than their usual pick up times to bring students to school. Afternoon times will remain the same.
***You always have the option of keeping your child home if you feel that the roads are unsafe – even if BFA is open. This will be listed as an excused absence.