School Closure/Delayed Start Due to Weather
Severe Weather Carpool Delay
When the weather conditions prohibit a normal release of students during carpool, we will try to notify parents as quickly as possible. We may display a bright orange flag, send a push notification through the BFA app and/or email parents. When you see this flag or receive a notification, it means that we will be initiating a severe weather dismissal for carpool and will not allow students outside until the weather conditions are safe. During severe weather dismissals, your our options are:
- Enter carpool, stay, and move with the carpool line until your child(ren) are released directly to you at the front of the school.
- Wait it out wherever you are until the weather passes and walkers are released.
- Park your car in the parking lot if that is feasible and physically come into the school to sign your child(ren) out. Please do not leave your car while in the carpool line.
Please understand that while this procedure will take longer than a regular dismissal, it will ensure the overall safety of our students. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding in the event of a severe weather dismissal.
- A decision to do a “Severe Weather Dismissal” won’t be made until 3:25pm. This gives us as much time as possible to see if the severe weather passes.
- Severe weather includes: lightning in the area; heavy rain or snow; tornado-like conditions in the area.
- Please do not make a call to your child’s cell phone asking him/her to exit the building. Your physical presence or that of another approved adult friend/family member, in the building or in carpool is required to release your child.
We will also email all parents an announcement that announces that a severe weather dismissal is in effect. We will try to do this between 3:25pm and 3:30pm. Please make sure that your homeroom teacher has your current email address.
- Please talk to your child about a contingency plan that will come into play if and when a severe weather dismissal occurs.
- Please know that your child will always be safe by waiting at school until you arrive.