Be an Active Participant in the BFA Community!
Ben Franklin Academy strongly encourages all families to perform 30 approved hours (15 hours for single parents) of volunteer service. It’s a fantastic way to support your students and get to know other parents, as well as the BFA staff.
We track volunteer hours so all volunteer service should be logged in Help Counter within 48 hours of performing the service. There will be a computer in the office so you can log hours completed on-site, and you may log hours at home for committee work, home projects and carpool. It is recommended that each parent/guardian make a separate account to track their volunteer hours. Your hours will be linked to your Family Number (the number on your carpool tag) so we can tally volunteer hours per family.
If you are a single parent family, please email our Volunteer Coordinator, Jen Jones, so she can update your volunteer quota. If you have questions about HelpCounter or logging hours, email Jen Jones.
Volunteering Ideas at BFA:
- Help with Lunch – Ben Franklin’s lunchroom couldn’t run efficiently without our wonderful parent volunteers. Our volunteers assist our lunch aides with setting up the lunchroom tables, help students open food and drink containers, monitor student safety and activity, clean tabletops between lunch sessions, and assist with final cleanup after all students have eaten. Please sign up through Helpcounter (log into HelpCounter first to be directly linked). Please note, younger siblings are not allowed in the lunch room during volunteer shifts.
- Volunteer for Carpool – Parent participation in carpool is essential as it helps ensure the safety of our kids, other volunteers and BFA staff. You may show up and ask the front office if you can assist for a shift; or, you can also use HelpCounter (log in first) to sign up for carpool shifts. Please arrive by 7:30 a.m. for the morning shift, or 3:15 p.m. for afternoon carpool.
- Help with Recess – Spend time outside helping monitor students during recess. You can sign up here (log in first to be directly linked). Be sure to check in at the front office first for your badge and to learn which location you’ve been assigned.
- Sign up to Volunteer in the Library – The library needs volunteers, so please sign up today! This is a popular volunteer opportunity, please read the instructions listed on the sign up for specifics about how many shifts to sign up for and what to do when you can’t make your volunteer slot.
- Mrs. Flint has Science Lab volunteer opportunities available! Click here to volunteer to decorate the Science Lab bulletin board and/or check the volunteer webpage for other opportunities.
- Look for Teacher Sign-ups – Many of our teachers send out sign-ups to help with reading, science lab, Thursday folders, etc. Please watch for these and sign up to help your student’s class.
- Committees – BFA has many committees that work to support the mission and vision of the school. Many of these committees have opportunities to volunteer that fall outside of traditional school hours. To learn more about the committees and how to contact them, check out each committee’s web page.