Qualifications to Serve on Ben Franklin Academy’s Board of Directors
The Ben Franklin Academy Board currently consists of seven (7) members: four (4) are elected by the Voting Parent Group, and three (3) are appointed by the board.
Ben Franklin Academy believes that its Board should embody diversity.
- Each seat is a 3-year term, up for election in 2018.
- Directors are required to attend all Board meetings, strategy sessions, and conferences as determined by the Board of Directors. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Board meetings are held once per month and a work session once per month (if deemed necessary) throughout the calendar year.
- The Colorado League of Charter Schools’ annual Board training is held in February each year. This conference provides training in Board policy and effective governance. Attendance is mandatory for all new directors.
- An annual strategic planning session is held each summer. This meeting enables the directors to develop the school’s strategic plan for the upcoming school year.
- Directors new to the Board are expected to review the following required materials within 30 days of being elected or appointed:
- “Cultural Literacy” by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- “Boards That Make A Difference” by John Carver
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Specifically, the Board has identified the following six goals in BFA’s Strategic Plan: 1) improve educational experience on continual basis; 2) maintain financial stability; 3) increase parent satisfaction and demand for enrollment; 4) promote staff and professional development; 5) maintain and develop facility; and 6) renew Charter Contract by June 30, 2019.